- Olympics medal table and live results | Schedule for day six of Games
- Katherine Grainger becomes Britain’s most successful female Olympian
- Sign up for real-time medal alerts and quizzes for Android phones
- All times are local to Rio
- Sign up for our daily email briefing – and read today’s here
Despite the pre-game brouhaha Spain are leading Nigeria 81-74 in the fourth quarter.
More on that controlled explosion at the basketball arena from Reuters:
Fans missed the start of the men’s Olympic basketball contest between Nigeria and Spain on Thursday after an unattended backpack was found in the arena, triggering a security alert and a controlled detonation of the bag.
Television images showed the players, including Spanish NBA star Pau Gasol, starting play against the backdrop of tiers of empty seats after security held back crowds from entering the arena.
The backpack was carried away by a robot and detonated, a spokesman for Rio 2016 confirmed. Detonating unattended bags has been common this Games amid concerns over security at South America’s first Olympics.
A security agent said the backpack was discovered after the Brazil-Croatia game.
A tablet computer, some socks and a jacket were found inside the backpack following the detonation. The public were allowed into the arena immediately afterwards, a spokesman said.